Saturday, June 29, 2013

Time Well Spent

It’s hard to believe that this part of my journey is coming to an end!  In a way it is much like the end of the school year, a bit bittersweet!  I’m happy that I completed another degree, but it is sad that school is ending.  As this part of my journey is complete, I can only wonder where I will go from here…

Some deeply felt learnings from this program are knowing that with perseverance and support I can accomplish what I set out to accomplish.  I can be an advocate for children and it is a very important part of what I do.  I may not be ready to set out on my own, but there are groups that I can become a part of and learn from.  I have also learned that I have what it takes to be a leader.  I do not have to know everything about it, I can learn and it is alright to make mistakes.  This past year has shown me that I am capable of so much more than I ever gave myself credit for.  Another thing I learned based on this capstone project is that it took kindergarten teachers many, many years to be considered equal to public school teachers.  As early childhood professionals, we have many, many years for achieve this same outcome. 

With the knowledge that it took so long for kindergarten teachers to be equals, my long term goal is to continue to advocate for worthy wages and to see the progress we can make during my lifetime.  I also want to continue to keep learning and putting what I learn into practice, to be leader and an advocate in the early childhood field.

As I stated, it is hard to believe that this program is coming to an end.  I wish all the best to the people I have met along the way.  It seems that we have found our voices and learned how to be an agent of social change.  I hope that we can go out and use this knowledge to change things that we can and advocate for the children and families we serve.  I would also like to thank the instructors throughout my time here at Walden.  There have been many that have helped me see my potential.  I have learned so much with their guidance.  Thank you to all who have touched my life…I wish you all the best!




2 comments:

  1. Dear Jodi,

    I enjoyed reading your post and I truly can relate to you. I must admit that this has been a rewarding journey and I too can say that I can give myself more credit than I do. I hope that everything you put your mind to that you accomplish and good luck to you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi,

    It seems that you have learned so much throughout your experience at Walden. Keep striving to better yourself and society. Thank you for all your help!

    ReplyDelete